Pages

Thursday, March 15

Chaharshanbe Soori

The Festival Of Fire. The last Wednesday Eve (or they could just call it Tuesday night) before Nowruz. Or is it Nowrooz? Nowrouz? Norouz? NoRuz? I'm not sure how to spell it... but whatever. BTW Persians, hear me out, can we please come to an agreement about to spell Persian words. Thank you.

As I was saying. The Festival of Fire was last night and it was FUN! We got there late. Not Persian Central Time late, like really late. Everyone had already jumped over the fire and they were dancing around the pavilion like drunken idiots the adorable people they are. So I told my Amoo Joon, my dear uncle, that I didn't even get to see a fire and he made me one. A small, very special fire. We chanted zardi-ye man az to, sorkhi-ye to az man, literally my yellow [sickness] is yours, your fiery red color is mine.

I spent time with the people I love, avoided the people I don't, I ate salad olivie and cutlet and hot chai. Perfection.

Eid is just around the corner, we're invited to about 30 parties this weekend. We are going to 1, maybe 2. If we can get to the first one early enough to leave early then maybe we can make it to the second one. Ooh, that reminds me, I should go to bed so that I can get up and go Eid dress shopping. Or maybe I'll just go to sleep and not wake up in the morning because it's spring break and I don't care enough about a dress to actually wake up early. Hmm, I must either be sick or not Persian.

No comments:

Post a Comment